Everyone feels some degree of nerves before a job interview, but if you prepare well, your confidence will increase significantly…
Here are 7 interview tips to utilize so you can show recruiters your best side:
- Research as much as you can about the company and its current employees, look at who works there already, read all of the company website and blog posts to get a firm grasp of knowledge about the company including the values and work ethic.
- Eye contact – Imagine if the employer kept taking their eyes off you and looking around the room while you were talking. Your natural instincts would tell you they were not engaged. It can be tempting to look around and your eyes might drift without you realizing, so it’s important to remain aware and show interest.
- Posture – Standing or sitting up straight, shoulders back and head up straight makes you and the employer feel better. How you carry yourself counts.
- Discover what the employer wants to hear – the clue could be in the initial job description or it could be in the company’s messaging, but usually employers want to feel like you can easily adapt to their work life and bring benefits to the company. You are not just filling a position, but providing a great service to the company and they want to hear it.
- Know the value you are bringing to the position – what will you do that others won’t, how will your knowledge, enthusiasm, skills or experience benefit the company? Get clear on this so you can walk in feeling confident about what you can do for them.
- Prepare – failing to prepare is preparing to fail, right? Prepare everything from what you will wear, to the journey there, parking and so on. All these things can potentially distract your mind before you arrive at the interview and make you feel flustered.
Smile – an obvious one, but not only does it make the recruiter feel more at ease with you as a potential new member of staff, it also makes you feel better and less nervous.
Have an important job interview coming up? After absorbing these interview tips, you can put them into practice with an online mock interview and get your result score instantly! Try it out now and feel more confident when going for your dream job.